Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Then Life Rears It's Ugly Head

.
I've been operating under the philosophy 'all bar all the time' as evidenced by my sporadic and less than scintillating posts of late.

A friend of SO's called yesterday to relay news of the sudden death of a mutual friend. I listened to this end of the conversation, and the follow-up calls to other friends, and waited a respectable time before turning the property lecture back on. Later - hug, caring but not prying question to show interest - more property.

11:00 p.m. Realization that the sudden heart attack and almost-immediate departure into the beyond could happen to anyone, anytime. Self (although, honestly, in this artificial law school-to-bar world, that doesn't really seem like such a bad thing) -- family -- friend -- Significant Other. Suddenly the MBE percentage and the daily grind don't seem all that painful.

Perhaps instead of 'all bar all the time' we should pay attention to the people around us - not forget to love and connect? But this daily, driven focus really is necessary - at least for me. How do we balance it all - do we even try? There is no balance in this world - not for the next 48+3 days anyway.

1 comment:

cynbel said...

Very important gut check. Pay attention to those. For me, they don't come often. When they do, I try to modify my behavior. I remind myself that it's only work (or school, or whatever...) and the people I love are who matter in the end.

The fact that you raised the question says a lot about you. Take a deep breath.
Best of luck on the bar!