Thursday, April 19, 2007

The beginning ~ A very good place to start

Boring, boring. No posts, no life. Hardly surprising, really. Counting down the final hours of law school is a bit like slowly coming out of a coma. An ending, of sorts, but also the beginning of [insert ominous drum roll or theme from Jaws clip] . . . studying for the TEXAS BAR EXAM.

You really have to look at that last sentence - "studying" - what's the big deal about that? And - "BAR EXAM" - yeah, so this is a big deal, everyone does it, just like law school, so what?

But if you've found your way to this insignificant little blog, you've already realized that, sooner than you realize, some nameless, faceless cog in your state bar's wheel of fortune will become the hand that rocks your career cradle. For this, you must be prepared.

This will be just one more journey through that no-man's land we all know and love [to hate], the bar exam - Texas style.

We begin May 1st, 2007. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came by your blog via the Uncivil Litigator. I'll probably be visiting from time to time. (I take the Ohio Bar in July.)
I agree with what you said about likening the end of law school to coming out of a coma. I don't know if this was true for you, but graduating from law school was strangely depressing. It was not at all a feeling of success, more of a "what the hell do I do now" feeling. Three years of constant intensity, and all of a sudden it's over and you're thrown out into the real world, with the Bar hanging over your head.
I suppose it's better to be out of the coma, but I didn't expect law school to end "not with a bang but a whimper."
Good luck on the bar.

Law Daze said...

"not with a bang" describes it well. Studying for my last final, I found I had included this in my class notes on the last day:

This is too anticlimactic. It should mean something. I should feel something. It should be significant in some way, not this total lack of significance, devoid of meaning. It is 2:19 pm. Class began at 1:30 pm. Usually class is more than 1.50 hours, not more than 2. Either way, there’s only maybe 1-hour max remaining. Wonder if the sanctions section will matter (i.e., ‘be on the exam.’). Numb.

Good luck on your bar, Ohio. Our cross-country trip this weekend (helping beloved family member move)is to Cincinnati.